If you could take 6 months off with unlimited resources, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?
1. _____ Rest and relax and enjoy not having any pressing responsibilities
2. _____ Plan an outdoor excursion: _____________________________________
3. _____ Enjoy your community with a ‘staycation’
4. _____ Invest in your hobby: _____________________________________
5. _____ Work on house projects or renovations: _________________________________
6. _____ Spend more time gardening and being in your backyard
7. _____ Visit family and relatives
8. _____ Travel the world: ______________________________________
9. _____ Try something new: ________________________________________
10. _____ Volunteer for a humanitarian cause: _______________________________________
Place this list in your order of preference.
Did you do it? Pause. Don’t read anymore until you’ve filled it out.
What are your top 4? What are you bottom 4?
Question: What is this saying about you? Write down 5 things.
This says/shows that I….
There are core values we live by that are so woven into the deepest parts of our being that they never slumber and never go away. They are so part of us that sometimes we need to be reminded that they want to live on the outside, not just as a dreamer on the inside.
If you could sum up your five statements and turn it into one phrase about yourself, explaining why these phrases are so important to you, what would you write?
Okay, one last question.
How will you live the one-sentence summary today? This week? This month?
Don’t lose site of how you’re designed. It is a living spring bursting inside you, the fountain of your youth.
You don’t need six months off to live out what lives inside you. You can do that anywhere, anytime with anyone.
When I did this exercise, I resolved once again something I’ve always known. I reflected on my ‘summary’ sentence and made a fresh commitment to myself to keep it alive, not only on the inside, but in who I am in this world. It is a gift to me and a gift to others; that’s the beauty of core values – they create wonderful energy in our environment, culture and community.
– Karen Thrall